If you've got existing crop on hand from crop seasons already past and you'd like to track the sale of it, you'll need to add in your opening balances for these crops.
There are two ways to complete this, either via:
- Crop season: adding in crop on hand through a crop season will allow you to run a cost of production report on your opening crop on hand
- Product tracker: adding in crop on hand through the product tracker (as per this article) will be more straightforward to setup, but you'll lose the ability to run a cost of production report
Opening crop on hand: Crop season
Adding in your opening crop on hand through a crop season will require you to create a new crop season, add a harvest, and archive the crop season.
Head to Operations > Trackers and click Create new tracker. Select Crop season, the type of crop, and call the crop season Conversion stock.
- Define the crop season area for your conversion stock - we recommend to set the Start date as the final date in the prior years financial year.
- After the area is defined, expand the harvest section of your crop season and click Add harvest. Enter your harvest quantity with as much crop as you have on hand.
- When you're done with that, head back to Operations > Trackers > Click the 3 dots on your Conversion stock tracker > Archive.
Archiving a tracker will mark the tracker as inactive but retain any transactions, including your opening balance harvest transaction.
Opening crop on hand: Product tracker
If you don't wish to have a cost of production report available for your opening crop on hand, then you can follow the method outlined in this article for Opening products on hand.